KPI Helpful Moving Tips
- Check To see that your homeowner or renter insurance will cover your belongings while in storage.
- You may need to purchase insurance to cover a storage unit.
- CAUTION: It is dangerous to store materials that are hazardous or combustible such as gasoline, cleaning fluids, paint, etc...Drain all gasoline from lawnmowers, power tools, boats, snowmobiles, etc. before storing them.
- Be sure to store frequently used items at the front of the unit to avoid having to search for them. Also, store valuable items towards the back of the unit.
- Appliances must be thoroughly clean and dry. Keep refrigerator and freezer doors slightly open. Remove and discard vacuum cleaner bags.
- Store mattresses and box springs on long edges. Wrap for protection and elevate off of the floor. Use pallets, 2X4’s, plywood...anything that will keep your items off the floor of the storage unit. It is not advised to lean items against the walls of the storage unit.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard and marked “FRAGILE”. Stand them straight up… never flat.
- Make a list of packing materials needed such as boxes, bubble wrap, tape, marking pens, rope, drop cloths, mattress and furniture covers, etc…
- Disassemble beds and mark the pieces so that they are easy to put back together.
- When packing books pack them in small cartons that weigh no more than 30 lbs. Alternate bindings and cushion them with wadded packing paper.
- Keep your out-of-season clothes accessible, you may have your belongings in storage longer than anticipated.
- When you disassemble electronics such as computers and stereos (items that have numerous cables), place small colored stickers on the cable and the same color sticker where the cable goes. If possible, use the original packing for electronic items.
- Wax wood furniture before storing it. Use sheets or cotton cloth to cover furniture.
- Never store anything in sealed plastic bags. The humidity will cause damage to your goods.
- Leave a small space between the goods stored and the storage unit’s walls.
- Do not stack heavy or folded objects where they could shift or collapse when you move or need access.
- Label boxes by numbers– have the master list separate from your storage space...and never write on the box what its contents are. Label each box as you seal it. Mark “Fragile” on all boxes with breakables.
- Use your bureau drawers as packing space. Fill them with some of your fragile items and use blankets, sweaters, and towels for padding.
- Do not use printed newspaper to pack with. The ink may smudge of on your items.
- To save space, fill interiors of appliances with linens, clothes and stuffed toys. Stuff towels between the washing machine and the inner tub of the washing machine to keep the tub from rotating.
- When packing boxes, try to limit the weight to 30 lbs or less per box.
- When wrapping collectibles or anything breakable, tape it after you wrap it. This will keep you from mistaking them for the excess paper you used to fill the box.
8:00 am - 5 pm Monday - Friday
Check availability, Click To Call KPI Mini Storage: (406) 829-3974
Rent now, download paperwork HERE. or EMAIL US.
Top Of Page